Tuesday, May 18, 2010

a good checkup

On Monday we went for our first post hospital checkup. Allow me to digress for a moment---many people can identify with this problem, though mostly when it comes to the dentist. I myself have been to the doctor way too many times, and for the majority of James' life, we've gone to the pediatrician every other week to ever week. Now, that's not really fun and it's time consuming, etc, etc. But the reason people start having a fear or aversion to a doctor is when things go badly. "Badly" can mean different things to different people. Some people hate shots and having their blood drawn; I couldn't care less. But also just when you get bad or frustrating news over and over and over and over...and over, you just don't want to hear it anymore. My endocrinologist has been seeing me since I was 17. Trust me, I wasn't a good patient. I am now though, but when I was pregnant, he ended up putting my on blood presssure medicine because I would be so nervous when I went to see him every week, even though everything was going pretty well. I'm pretty sure I'll never get over it. It's sort of the same for James' visits. Luckily they don't take my blood pressure, but I just dread going. Most of the time I know what they're going to say. We have a baby scale at home and I feed him. I feel like I should just call in and let them know what his current weight is and avoid the drive and the wait and the torture.

So Monday was very refreshing. Really, not much has changed, but that's a good thing. We've put some boluses together so he is eating a little more at one time with a little more time in between feeds. Otherwise, we're not changing anything and will start at KCRC next week. It was fun to see doctors be so happy in James' presence. Dr. Borowitz even got a hug from James. Following our appt we snuck up to our old home and visited James' 'harem'. It was pretty cute when he ran down the hall (and tried to walk me to the play room) and we saw a whole bunch of his nurses in the hall. He was swarmed and loved every minute of it.

We got home to the following video:

And here James is just showing off:

1 comment:

  1. Be still my heart! And not bc of the bear....or my blood pressure...

    He is a dor a ble!

    ReplyDelete