Friday, January 18, 2013

Smart kid

It's not easy raising smart kids. They constantly call me out or ask questions I can't bluff my way out of. It doesn't help that I'm a terrible liar. I usually end up telling them way too much truth, probably confusing them and definitely giving them just enough information to be dangerous. It's like the Santa Claus thing.
Anyway, Monday is the first of potentially three blood draws. It's going to be awful. I lay awake at night thinking about it. And it's not even the draw itself that's so bad. I get them all the time, I can give IV shots (to a horse, but whatever), they don't bother me and the actual act is pretty quick and painless. The biggest problem is our pediatrician is 45 min away. So I can't tell James where we are going til we get there or else he will be in hysterics for an hour, which is not fair. To anyone. The only alternative is to lie, cause he's not going to stop asking where we are going. And I'm pretty sure a blood draw doesn't count as an errand. I'm dreading seeing the look on his face when he realizes what's going to happen.

But in mild preparation for this crappy event, I started talking to James today about blood draws and how there are creams that make it so it doesn't hurt and how mommy gets them all the time, etc etc. So we talk for a while and he's nodding and listening and then he looks at me and says, "Mommy, I'm not enjoying talking about blood draws."

Yep, it's gonna go great.

No comments:

Post a Comment